Grammar points, UNIT 1

 

Present Simple 
Core Rules
  • Permanent states & facts: Things that are generally true for a long time.
  • Routines & habits: Actions we do regularly.
B1+-B2 Nuances
  • Timetables & schedules: Official future events (transport, cinema times, school timetables).
    • Example: The train leaves at 6:00 PM tomorrow. 
  • Stative verbs (mental/emotional states): Verbs not usually used in continuous forms (e.g., know, believe, belong, prefer, realize).
    • Example: I understand your point now.
  • Narratives, reviews & sports commentaries: Making past or live events sound immediate and dramatic.
    • Example: Messi passes the ball to Suarez and scores!

Present Continuous
Core Rules
  • Actions happening right now: At the moment of speaking.
  • Temporary situations: True for a limited period. 
B1+-B2 Nuances
  • Annoying habits (with always / constantly): Expressing irritation about a repeated behavior.
    • Example: He is constantly interrupting me during meetings!
  • Changing or developing trends: Gradual changes happening around now.
    • Example: The climate is getting warmer every year.
  • Personal arrangements (Fixed Future): Plans already decided and arranged for the near future (often with time/place).
    • Example: We are meeting the clients on Friday morning.

Stative Verbs with Dual Meanings
At B2 level, many state verbs can be used in the continuous form when they describe an action rather than a state, but the meaning changes:
VerbPresent Simple (State)Present Continuous (Action)
ThinkI think (believe) it is a good idea.I am thinking (considering) about changing jobs.
HaveShe has (possesses) a new car.She is having (experiencing/eating) lunch right now.
SeeI see (perceive with eyes) the mountains.I am seeing (dating/meeting) the doctor tomorrow.

Past Simple: Form and Uses
The Past Simple shows finished actions, habits, or main events in the past. 
  • Form: Subject + past verb (-ed or irregular, e.g., played, went).
  • Completed actions: "I visited Paris last year."
  • Story events: "She opened the door, looked inside, and turned on the light." 
Past Continuous: Form and Uses
The Past Continuous shows an action that was in progress at a specific moment in the past.
  • Form: Subject + was / were + verb--ing (e.g., was reading, were playing).
  • Action in progress: "At 8 PM yesterday, I was eating dinner."
  • Background scene: "The sun was shining and the birds were singing." 

Combining Both Tenses
At intermediate levels, you often combine both tenses to show how one event interrupts another.
  • The Interruption: Use the Past Continuous for the long action and the Past Simple for the short interrupting action.
    • Example: "I was watching TV when the phone rang."
  • Simultaneous Actions: Use the Past Continuous for two long actions happening at the same time.
    • Example: "While I was cooking, my brother was cleaning the floor."

Comments