Gerunds: Action Nouns that Rule!

 


1. Gerunds: The All-Stars of Sentences:

Gerunds can play three key roles in your sentences:

  • Subject Superstar: Just like the main character, gerunds can lead the sentence:
    • Going for a walk is a great way to relax.
    • Learning a new language opens doors to new cultures.

  • Object on an Adventure: Gerunds can be the object of some verbs, joining the action party:
    • I enjoy listening to music while studying.
    • They suggested going to the movies tonight.

  • Complementing your Words: Gerunds can complete the meaning of certain verbs like "finish," "regret," or linking verbs:
    • She finished painting the wall.
    • I regret wasting time.
    • My dream is traveling the world.

2. Verb Buddies: Who Likes Gerunds?

Some verbs are BFFs with gerunds, always wanting them around:

  • Like, love, enjoy, dislike, hate: I love reading fantasy novels.
  • Start, finish, continue, stop: They started playing basketball in the park.
  • Remember, forget, regret, suggest: I remember visiting that museum as a child.
  • Perceiving: I saw her walking down the street.

Comments