WORD FORMATION

Use the words in brackets to form a new word that fits into the gap. 

1. How long is the __________________ from Rome to Paris ? (FLY) 
2. I have a very good __________________ with both my parents (RELATION) 
3. Pulling my front tooth didn’t hurt. – It was completely __________________ (PAIN). 
4. I can tell from your __________________ that you’re not really happy (EXPRESS) 
5. We offer free __________________ for purchases over € 100 (DELIVER). 
6. James hasn’t had a lot of __________________ lately, so I hope he’ll do well with his new company (SUCCEED) 
7. It is __________________ colder today that it was yesterday (CERTAIN). 
8. What __________________ is he ? Spanish or Portuguese ? (NATION) 
9. You have the __________________ . – You can either go by bus or walk (CHOOSE). 
10. My best friend has a great __________________ . (PERSON). 
11. You need a lot of __________________ to write a good story (IMAGINE) 
12. The lesson was __________________ . I almost fell asleep. (BORE) 
13. Don’t be so __________________ . This is the second vase you have broken this month (CARE). 14. It’s simply __________________ . I have won the lottery . (BELIEVE) 
15. I have to hold a __________________ at my brother’s wedding (SPEAK) 
16. There’s a lot of __________________ about that on the internet (INFORM) 
17. The children were very __________________ when the teacher came in (NOISE). 
18. The film was a bit __________________ . I didn’t really understand what happened (CONFUSE) 
19. He has to wear these gloves for __________________ reasons (SAFE) 
20. Sally was __________________ for two years before she found a new job (EMPLOY) 
21. In India, there are a lot of __________________ in the streets (BEG). 
22. When I gave up smoking I started putting on more __________________ (WEIGH). 
23. I had no __________________ in finding the right street . (DIFFICULT) 
24. He talked about __________________ and peace in our world (FREE) 
25. __________________ , I was invited to watch the new film (LUCKY) 
26. The __________________ of our rainforests is a serious problem (DESTROY) 
27. Animals in a zoo don’t live in their __________________ environment (NATURE) 
28. __________________ does not have anything to do with how much money you have (HAPPY) 
29. Thank you for being so __________________ yesterday (HELP) 
30. He has been a long- __________________ runner for a few years now (DISTANT) 
31. Don’t you think it’s too __________________ for you to go sailing in such weather (DANGER) 
32. This is my last __________________ . – Don’t walk across the lawn ! (WARN) 
33. He gave me some good __________________ on where to go shopping (ADVISE) 
34. If you want to complain about the product, please go to the __________________ (MANAGE). 
35. The new flat is not __________________ . It’s too expensive (AFFORD) 
36. John is six years old. He’s very __________________ and full of life (ACT) 
37. My mother spent her __________________ in France (CHILD) 
38. I have made a few __________________ to your article (CORRECT) 
39. Every child should get a good __________________ (EDUCATE). 
40. Listen carefully to the __________________ before you go out ! (INSTRUCT)

VOCABULARY EXERCISES

Comments